Thursday, October 19, 2006

First Socktoberfest Sock


..... and maybe last.

I didn't mean for that to sound so ominous, however, Christmas is coming and I am not a very fast knitter and I will have limited evenings in November. Here is the orange sock. DH asked if I was getting ready for Halloween. It is Opal Prism and that little glob of yarn is all that was left. Dontcha love it when you get your money's worth!!! I blogged about this sock earlier, it is the Lacing Stitch sock from Fiber Nooks and Crannies SOTM club, May 06. I used size 1 Addi Turbos. The cuff has a cable . I began October 2 and finished October 13th. I had a bit of knitting time at a 3-day conference I sat through. I am still not sure the pattern was worth the trouble. It does make for a squishy sock. I don't imagine I will wear these to work. They are more of a pair of blue jeans or barn sock. They will be soft and warm.


Next project up is a sweater for my nephew. The little dickens who will be at Rhinebeck this weekend. I am still not over pouting!!!! It really is funny that I never made this connection. I am using Berrocco pattern. and Elann Peruvian Sierra Aran yarn in Mallard. The yarn is 80% Highland Wool and 20% Alpaca - very soft and a little halo. I was able to achieve gaugee with a size 8. I do not like to sew up garments. I have been known to finish the knitting and let something sit for over a yearn just for the lack of finishing seams. To avoid that, I like to knit sweaters in the round. I did not have any size 8 circular needles so I went back to the Knit Picks needles to give them another try. I have had no problems with the joins coming apart with this knit. The points are sharp. I have been trying to knit Continental to give my right hand a break. I thought if I changed up it might alter the stress on my hands. So far it is working but my left pointer finger is getting sore from the point of the needles. I am going to need to practice not stopping the needle with my finger!

The pattern calls for the body of the sweater to stop at 10" and begin the arms. That just seems too long and boxy. My sister prefers a longer sweater for her son. The ribbing was 3". I have found one error in the pattern (it called for 2 size needles but never mentioned when to switch) so I am thinking that maybe the pattern part should be 10" with a total of 13" from the beginning. This is for a 5 year old and I hope he will be able to wear it a year or two so I am going to go with the 13"

Cables are my very favorite knit and this is moving quickly. As I have been working, I have been trying to figure out how to make this work for a sock. I am thinking maybe half of the pattern up the front of the sock with ribbing around the leg.

The sleeves are knit totally in moss stitch. I hope I don't fall asleep knitting them. I am thinking about knitting them in the round also. Since I usually knit both sleeves at once so that the increases match, what about the Magic Loop method only sleeves instead of socks.

2 Comments:

Blogger Opal said...

The sweater looks great! I want to knit cables now too!

3:34 PM  
Blogger Dympna said...

Penny,
I love the socks. Have fun with the sweater. To bad we have to miss Rhinebeck. I've known people who've gone and they've had a great time.
Dympna

3:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home