Thursday, October 12, 2006

OMG!! She means Rhinebeck

I took my mom to the airport his morning. Tomorrow would have been her 56th wedding anniversary. The loss is still to raw for her to be in their home alone on that day so she is going to visit my sister in Woodstock, NY for about 10 days.

Talking to my mom is like being in a novel by Faulkner. It is a steady stream of consciousness. I am not sure we ever resolve or complete one topic. I am guilty of listening with half an ear and then rounding her up and returning to the original thread so I can get the needed information.

She came by last weekend and during her visit, when mentioned that she might want to knit some socks while in Woodstock. I pulled out my stash which is probably larger than what is on the shelves at the LYS and gave her enough yarn and patterns for several socks.

Last night, as we were making the final arrangements for her departure, she asked me if there was any yarn I wanted her to bring back. I was puzzled as she had told me during our yarn stash forage that the LYS in Woodstock had closed. As I questioned further, she mentioned that my sister and family were going to take her back to the fiber festival they had visited in the past. The connection finally was made. The fiber festival is Rhinebeck!!!! Now I don't want to whine too loudly BUT my mom is satisfied with yarn from Michaels and my sister does not knit. I live in the Coastal region of SC and will never make it there!!!!

OK, whine over, what could I tell her. Find the yarn that sings to you, that begs to be picked up, that feels luscious, and looks delicious and cries to go home with you. Instead, I told her that I had too many unfinished project and really couldn't think of anything I needed. If she surprises me, that will be cool but I just didn't want to put in an order and be disappointed.

I do hope that the weather is wonderful, the venders show extraordinary wares and that everyone has a wonderful time. WITHOUT ME!!!!!!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, how sad! I hope she sends you a yarny gift.

7:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a small world. My parents live about 20 minutes from Woodstock. Hubby and I were there this weekend. Unfortunately I'm going to miss Rhinebeck as I opted to go to Asheville NC for SAFF.

Hugs!

10:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home