Wednesday, June 14, 2006

I'm Running Block...

Have you heard Toby Keith's newest CD? There is a song called: "I'm running block." Throughly offensive and funny. The teenaged boys that hang around our house talk about falling on a hand granade for the sake of the group. In adult terms, they are inferring that there is always a girl in the group that is less attractive either by physical or personality standards. It is the responsibility of one member of the male group to spend time with her so that the girlfriends won't feel like they are ditching her.

Well, I feel like that might be what I am doing with Lacy. I have finished the back and attempted blocking. This is my first attempt. I have always just steamed the pieces and it has flattened and taken the life out of some of the yarns. I have been reading blog instructions on blocking and decided it was finally time.

  1. I ordered lace blocking wires from Knit Picks. Is it appropriate to use them for blocking sweaters? Anyway, I did.
  2. I used my cutting board that I use for sewing,
  3. spread a sheet of contractor's plastic on top to make it waterproof,
  4. soaked the sweater back in hot water and dishwasher detergent
  5. rolled it up in thirsty towels
  6. spread the back on the cutting board
  7. used the wires to square the sides and bottom
  8. T-pins were used on the shoulders and to keep the bottom and sides squared.
It is now drying, still drying. What I have learned:
  1. Do not lay knitting out to dry when you are expecting a tropical depression and 100% humidity for DAYS!!!
  2. Cotton does not stretch like wool. The blocking helped even out my tension somewhat but you can still see rows that don't look great. I started on the back on purpose so that I could work out the colorwork tension before I got to the fronts. It is a little better. At this rate, I will have some beautiful sleeves.
Tutorials I read on lace blocking:
  1. Knitting Doctor blog She describes buying wire from a welding supply source. I am sure it was probably cheaper but sometimes convenience wins out.
  2. Knit Picks tutorial
  3. KBTH Online Symposium

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That looks really beautiful! I love the colour combo. Can't wait to see the finished product!

9:19 AM  
Blogger Opal said...

Oh I adore that sweater! Of course I'd melt in it here.. but it must have been such fun to make!

2:24 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

That sweater is gorgeous! Kudos!

8:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home