Monday, May 08, 2006

Yoga for Knitters

Yoga, really, you can do this. Don't run away! I am not too keen on exercise either. I certainly need too but who has the time when there is so much yarn!! My right wrist is developing something. It grabs my attention occasionally, especially if I try to lift anything. I imagine it is tendonitis. If I go to the doctor, she will probably tell me to stop knitting for awhile and since I am not interested in that, I guess I will not waste my money. This article in The Daily Knitter got my attention. It includes five exercises for five fingers that help to stretch and keep your hands healthy. Maybe a little late but worth a try.

Not too much knitting news today. I am working away on Lucy. I have reached row 61 on the back. I am still liking the 2-handed stranded color method. I have figured our a couple of things that are speeding up the knitting past a crawl or at least making me feel more coordinated.
  1. As you knit using this method, you keep one ball of yarn to your right and one to your left. You are lifting or dropping the yarn to be carried so that the color you are knitting will 'trap' the yarn being carried. This keeps the yarns from twisting. I am pulling from the center of the ball and this also seems to help. The balls stay in place by my side and don't go traveling. However, the cotton has begun to tangle some as the ball collapses on itself. I have placed each ball into a separate ziplock bag and zipped the top almost closed. It will not prevent the tangling but may help to manage it.
  2. I have kept the white yarn on my left, regardless of whether it was a purl or a knit row. However, I have discovered that the color that is being knit the most for that section should be on the right. Now, I am changing the location of the yarn (which side of my lap), even in the middle of a row. This has really made a difference in the ease in how the yarn is carried in the back of the sweater.
  3. I have a metal board with magnets that I used to follow cross stitching patterns. I sometimes use it for knitting patterns. The board is just heavy enough to stay in place, either in my lap or on the arm of my chair. I still am finding that I have to reknit, especially on the purl side. The needles are a number 2 so the stitches are fine and it has been difficult in the evenings to see the difference between the sage and white yarns.
Plans for next projects (NOT SOCKS):




  1. I have joined the Amazing Lace KAL. I hope to finish the Print O' Waves stole I have been working on. I need to graft the two ends together and knit the border. I have never done this before and need to have a quiet time to sit down and figure this out.
  2. I don't think this will really take very long so I have purchased some Jaggerspun Zephr from RedBird Knits with the plan of knitting the Moon Dance Stole.
  3. I also ordered a copy of Heirloom Knitting and Glossamar Shawls. I think I am really getting into the lace thing.


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your are Excellent. And so is your site! Keep up the good work. Bookmarked.
»

5:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This site is one of the best I have ever seen, wish I had one like this.
»

8:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home