Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Sirens calling me.


I have two new yarns that just sing to my soul. I want to drop everything just to touch and look and knit with these yarns. They are absolutely scrumptous. I just can not help myself!! They draw me in with a magical, mystical power that remind me of the Sirens of Greek Mythology. I wish I could get the hang of taking photos of my knitting. If you have any tips and/or suggestions, please let me know.

The first project is the Cascading Leaves pattern by Jeanie Townsend and the yarn is Merino wool by Fleece Artist. The colorway is not on the label. I believe I bought it on Ebay. I am using a size 2(US) needle with 7 stitches to the inch.The color is saturated and the twist in the yarn is very springy. It just seems to flow and I am really enjoying this project.

The other project is a Print O" The Wave Stole. I found the pattern on "see eunny knit! bog. The yarn is Hand Maiden Sea Silk. The content is 70% Silk and 30% Seacell (seaweed) in the Straw colorway. I purchased this from Colorsong.The sheen of the silk is beautiful. It is very lightweight and seems to have a beautiful hand. I am anxious to knit more so that I can really feel what the drape will be. I am not sure that one skein will be enough so I purchased two. Even in my poor photography, you can see that there is quite a difference in the dyeing. I am alternating the yarn by knitting two rows with one and then two rows from the other skein. I wish you could reach through the monitor and touch it to get the total effect, it is delicious.
I started working on this stole Sunday evening while my husband was watching a movie on TV. I was not very intereted in the movie so it was perfect background for setting up a new lace pattern. I find I really need to concentrate and count through at least the first repeat of the pattern. I was not able to pick it back up until last night. When I settled in to the pattern, I found that my brain was playing back and reflecting on the movie that we watched on Sunday. In undergarduate Education courses, we teach our students that everyone learns differently. Some students (I would swear that includes every Middle School male) need to move to learn. They are considered kinesthetic learners. I discovered while in college that studying by reading my notes was not near as effective as rewritting the summary of my notes. Even the act of typing seems to increase my learning. Just think of what I could have accomplished if they had just let me knit in class!!

4 Comments:

Blogger CraftyPerson said...

Ooh! those yarns are better than luxury icecream. You must be in heaven knitting them. I will be interested to see how you get on with the seaweed yarn.

Isn't it amazing the way we all learn differently. i think i am a visual learner. I have to have it written down and if it is for an exam I have to make it fit in a table. Then i can remember that I have to know 3 lots of 3 things.
I make up silly sentences from the initial letters of each "cell" in the table so maybe I have atouch of auditory learner in me as well.

4:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Peggy,

I saw your post on Townsend's group so thought I would visit your blog. So, how difficult was it to get your blog started? I've been thinking about starting one for about a month now. Love the socks/sirens!! And the stole. I am going to take a class in May that is lace knitting. The pattern is a feather and fan stole. I think it will be a lot of fun.

Tammy in OR

8:45 PM  
Blogger SAM said...

I found your blog through your post on the sock knitters list. I am a relatively new sock knitter, yet hopelessly addicted. I am opening a yarn shop in about a week...not much time to knit. We are carrying Fleece Artist. Fabulous yarn! As for photos - I find that natural light works best. I usually go outside or near a window. Good luck with the socks & phots.

10:47 PM  
Blogger Knitting Therapy said...

It really is not difficult to start the blog. It is a little tricky to add buttons. I had some, tried to add a web ring link this week and lost my buttons. Time to start over.

12:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home