Thursday, May 04, 2006

Poster Child for Sunscreen

Do you find yourself composing blog entries in your head during the day. I do. My inner voice keeps up this steady conversation that I then instantly forget or don't find time to enter.

This post has very little knitting content. I guess I will start with the knitting and then you can sign off if the other bores you. I have 39 rows for the back of Lucy completed. I am using the two handed knitting method described in the video on the Philosopher's Wool website. The only problem is that method is used to knit in the round and as I am not comfortable using steeks, I am knitting pieces in a stockinette stitch. It still works with some manuipulation of the yarn, although I don't think I would ever be able to describe it. I spent a good part of Tuesday knitting, once I found all the yarn and directions. I was tempted to stay home on Wednesday but decided I had better go in to work. More on that latter. I knitted at the barn last night because I did not want to get near the horses. Face is sore and did not want to get bumped or pulled around.

OK, now to the nonknitting stuff that the title refers to. We have a joke at work, I think it is pretty widespread, that when we retire we will be the greeter at Wallmart. The assumption being that there will be less stress in that position. Well, after taking the dressing off my cheek yesterday, I decided that I will be more suited as the poster child for sun screen. There are two incisions instead of the one I was expecting. They are both about 3/4 of an inch in length. The area between the incision and my lower eye is holding all of the swelling and color. The corner of my eye feels like it has something in it. I imagine that is from pressure on the tear duck from all the swelling. It really is not uncomfortable today. The stitches do not come out for 2 weeks. The doc told me I no longer need to keep a dressing on it, however, after the reactions I have had with a dressing, I don't think I will chance it.

The reaction to the dressing and the purple eye has been an eye opener.
  1. I started work yesterday at a middle school. The reaction of the students to my face was interesting. Some visibly startled, others were quick to look away, some stared.
  2. I bought gas today at a gas station that I frequent. They know me to talk, they know where I work, you get the idea. Well, when I walked in, they smiled, said hello and then instantly looked down and did not chat as usual. No question about what happened, are you OK, what's up, beautiful day, etc.
  3. Some of my co-workers have had a difficult time trying to find a place to focus their eyes but the majority have been very natural. At some point I think I will share this experience with them.
I can't help wondering what it is like to live with a permanent disability or disfigurment. Do we distance ourselves from others due to our discomfort. I remember reading a study this spring about obese people and how differently society treats them. I believe I am now going to make a concerted effort to establish eye contact and nod to the world. I have really missed it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tammy said...

Hmm, I wonder if they have thoughts that maybe you were hit by someone? That's what went through my mind as I read how others reacted to it. It's hard, but I do try to establish eye contact with those who may be different or their parents.

10:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice! Where you get this guestbook? I want the same script.. Awesome content. thankyou.
»

5:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home