Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Let Down Again!

Knit Pick Option needles have let me down yet again!
I am in Columbia, SC for three days for technology training. I have found that if I keep my hands busy, my brain will focus and I can sit still. I started a Norah Gaughan design: Porthos in Berroco Cotton Twist in Orange Zinnia that I purchased from Elann.com. The design is in Collection 2. There are 3 versions of the same sweater and you can pick and choose design features from any of the 3 and merge them into 1. I am knitting a faced hem. It calls for a garter stitch hem but I don't want the rolls around my waist. I also don't think I will don't think I will knit the lace insert, it is really just dropped stitiches and a little too peek-a-boo for my midriff. I am knitting it in the round so there are about 13" of stockinette. This might drive me over the edge if I were at home but this is perfect mindless meeting knitting. I was using an Options needle and the cable came undone this morning about 9:30!!! Yuck, I was facing a knitless day. I was able to force the cable back in and worked very gently until lunch time. There was a long enough break during lunch that I was able to run to In the Loop and purchased an Addi Turbo.

I visited In the Loop in Jan. The meeting I attended ended a little early and as I was meeting College Son later for dinner I went by the shop and sat down on the couch and knitted awhile. We began chatting and before long found that we had some mutual acquaintances. South Carolina really has a rather small population and even though I was not born here, I have lived in the state for 32 yearns and it happens rather often. I was very surprised that she recognized me today and remembered our conversation. I really expected to run in and remain anonymous. Anyway, I now have a new needle and I am back in business.

I am not sure what to do about the Options. Every time one becomes loose I have emailed Knit Picks customer service and they have sent me new cables. The last time this happened I emailed to ask them if there were any precautions that I could take and they responded that it was just a batch with bad glue. However, even the replacements are coming apart. I love the points on the needles (they are so sharp I have had to put a band aid on a finger tip - war wound). I love the convenience of always having the right needle available. I just find them so frustrating. I have kept all the pieces. Someone recommended Crazy Glue. I guess I will try that next.

Evenings should be very quiet here this week so I brought Phoenix Rising to see if I can finish the shawl. I am halfway through the last repeat of the pattern and then I have the beaded border. I imagine I am being rather optimistic but I should get a good bit done.

DD still has my camera. She is using it for her senior exhibition of mastery. How could I possibly ask for it back! I have two training cameras in my car. I brought them into the hotel room to take some project pictures and realized that one is missing a rechargeable battery and the other is missing the fire wire. So still no photos - so sorry!

College boy's dorm is 1 block from my hotel. He is in meltdown mode this week with finals and papers due. I am not sure how much we will see each other. I dangled a free restaurant meal and that may bring him out. He also may come to the hotel tomorrow to study while I am out. I told him I would even find something to do to keep me out of the room so he had no distractions. It will be quite a sacrifice but I imagine I could force myself to visit the mall so he can concentrate. Oh what a mother will do for the sake of her puppies.

2 Comments:

Blogger Deborah-- said...

Wow. You are the first person I've heard that has problems with the Knit Picks Options needles like that. Keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't happen to mine. After working on Boyle Interchangeables for so long and hating them because the cables don't stay tight, I love the Options.

5:44 AM  
Blogger Opal said...

Oh how frustrating for you! You've had really bad luck with these needles. Have you called Knit Picks and told them of your troubles?

11:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home