Monday, February 18, 2008

Bright Cardi - finished


I finished the baby cardi this weekend. All except the buttons. There is an interesting design feature in this pattern. You knit buttonholes on both sides. The directions explain this is so you know exactly where to sew on buttons. You just sew over the top of the buttonhole. What a simple, foolproof way to make sure your bands match exactly and there will be no gapping when buttoned. I did not purchase buttons with the yarn but will be traveling for work again this week and next so I should be able to find some. I guess I will look for some primary colors.


DH declared that the mama will never loose the baby when he/she is wearing the cardi. I guess that was his not too subtle way of announcing it is rather bright. I usually lean more towards subdued and traditional colors but decided to break loose on this one!

I finished the fair isle body by knitting short rows and a three needle bindoff for the shoulders. I hope it will provide enough structure. the shoulders are dropped a bit. If they begin to pull too much, I will just crochet some support to the seam on the back side.

I began the sleeves. They call for 2.5 cm of stockinette stitch in the blue, then 2.5 cm of moss stitch in the burgundy, then you begin the decreases and knit the remainder in stockinette. I really do not like the way the fabric rows. This is also a design feature on the buttonband. Instead, I think I will start the sleeves with a provisional caston and then finish the sleeve with a blue icord. It will have the same color, similar design feature but a little more tailored and finished.

2 Comments:

Blogger Opal said...

What an interesting way to do the button band! I should try that sometime. I personally love the bright colors for baby clothes. If you can't go bright for babies, when can you go bright? :)

4:17 PM  
Blogger Mary Beth said...

I just love non-traditional colors for baby clothes. The cardi is adorable! The mama will be happy that she can find her baby in a crowd!

6:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home