I have shamed myself!

(Quote from Puss in Boots, the smooth and debonair tabby in Shrek. This is a silly quote my family uses often. Sometimes an inside joke does not transfer well to the public so I thought you might need a explanation :( )
Back from college orientation and absolutely exhausted. This lasted two days and most of the sessions were for students. While DD attended the sessions, I walked, and walked and walked. Charleston is a lovely old city and it was delightful. The timing of the rain each day was perfect. We had some excellent meals and DD fell in love with her adviser. The woman re
minded her of DD's favorite high school teacher. The separation is going to be difficult but I feel so much better after having spent two days with her on campus and meeting this professor.These images are from the center of campus. Can you image running to class in the middle of this lovely antebellum architecture? My goal when I was working on my PhD was to eventually teach at a University. When I completed and started checking out the pay scales, I changed my mind. Walking those cobblestone paths brought back that interest again. Wonder what DD would think if I went to college with her as a professor????
Knit, one of my most favorite yarn shops is across the corner from the College of Education. I spent some of my down time hours inside in their air conditioned goodness. I did make two purchases but the yarn is for two projects that I had planned, nothing else jumped off the shelf. I fondled much but really showed restraint.
I have wanted to knit the Sideways Cardigan from the cover of Vogue Knitting Spring/Summer 08. It is knit in a cotton that I am not familiar with and it looks a little stiff. I tend to like more drape. The salesperson in the store asked if she could help and I asked for a recommendation for a yarn to knit that sweater. It just so happens that the owner had just returned from a vacation to the mountains where she had knit that sweater. She used Rowans organic PureLife cotton. The sweater was in the shop and I was able to fondle, try on and fall in love with it. Hers was in the grey which was lovely but I chose the ivory, I think I might get more use out of it.

The second purchase was Hacho by Mirasol. It is the Deep Blue Ocean colorway. I had plans to knit the Celtic Vest on the cover of Folk Vests. It calls for a DK weight hand paint. I have been disappointed sometimes when I purchase a handpaint from an internet image. That may not be critical for socks but it would be more disappointing for a vest. It was great to find a yarn in real life and to be able to compare other colorways. I love this yarn and appreciate the effort behind the Mirasol project. Now I will need to locate a DK weight dark blue that will work well with the yarn for the solid sections of the vest. Knit did not have anything, I will need to scour the stores in the area.
I did finish the back of the Sea Glass sweater while out of town and have about 4" completed on the front. Today is my last day of vacation, it is back to work tomorrow. The next three weeks will be incredibly busy. We have so much to do to prepare teachers and schools before students get back!
1 Comments:
One day I'll visit Charleston. The pics I have seen are gorgeous. Very quaint. Can't believe it's time to get ready for the school year! Hope going back to work wasn't too hard for ya. Nice restraint in Knit.
Post a Comment
<< Home