Thursday, July 10, 2008

Supervised Blocking, Again


I finished the Etruscan tank last weekend. DD walked through the kitchen while I was swishing it in a bowl and got excited. Silly girl thought there might be food involved. There still was a clear horizontal surface so I took advantage and got to work blocking. I had a bit of supervision.

The yarn is silk and soaked up pounds of water. For some reason the silly cat kept stretching out on the wet surface.

Next I found him pulling out the pearl headed pins and then I found him chewing on the i-cord! I had to move the board to a chair in my bedroom. We have had torrential rains almost every day. The humidity has been so high it took two days to dry.

Meanwhile, I have finished knitting the Waves of Grain tank. The highlighter tape proved to be the important ingredient for keeping my place in the pattern. It is now blocked and drying. The extra rectangle at the neck will form a cowl neck when seamed. The cotton/rayon blend in the yarn creates a nice sheen but I am not sure that it is going to have the necessary drape for the cowl. Definitely a con for buying yarn without feeling it.

The armholes are going to require some finishing. The pattern calls for rows of garter stitch. I don't think that fits well with the design. The hem is just the waved pattern created by the lace pattern. Instead, I think I will either crochet an edging or again go with the i-cord finish that I used on the Etruscan tank. It takes a little more time but provides a lovely finish and some structure to the armhole.

I set up a fan hoping that it might dry more quickly and that also might have the secondary benefit of keeping terror kitty away!

I find myself experiencing a little ennui. I have yarn for several new summer sweater projects, several socks under way and tons of winter projects. I am just not sure what to do with myself next. I also need to mow the lawn since it is not raining and the lawn has dried from last night's monsoon. I just can't seem to get ahead of it. The rain has brought my lawn to life and it is dancing and growing visibly by the hour!

1 Comments:

Blogger Deborah-- said...

Holy smokerinnies! Waves of Grain was finished in a flash. Good for you and it look awesome. I still love the color.

Kitty is doing a great job on the supervising of the Etruscan tank drying! Maybe he could have fanned his tail back and forth over it to assist in the drying. LOL

8:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home