Tuesday, March 04, 2008

A FO, a new project and a Blessing!


The Nutkin is finished. I have mixed feelings about this sock. I love the pattern stitch. I did not like the directions for the heel and I do not like the yarn.

Let's start with the heel. I mentioned in an earlier post that I like to try new patterns, techniques and yarn. These directions had a different way of creating a short row heel so I decided to try it. Instead of wrapping the last stitch, it said to yarn over. You then knitted together the yarn over and the last stitch. It left a hole. Now, it may have been their intent that you wrap the stitch and I just did it wrong but it did say yarn over.

To compound the looseness of the yarn over was the thinness of the yarn. It is Rio Del Plata that I purchased from the Loopy Ewe. It has a strand of burgundy, one of green and one of tan in the twist. I like the color, but it is just too thin. No smoosh or sproing. (Real technical terms but you get my drift.)

I have started a new sock - la digitessa by yarnissima in Wollmeise yarn. Yum all the way around on this one. The color pushed me out of my comfort zone but the dye job is scrumptious.

I am using size 0 needles and 72 stitches. The design is comprised of traveling stitches. The instructions are very comprehensive. She explains how to do cables without a cable needle. That is usually my preferred method, however, I am finding it too difficult with this small size, I am using a 1 inch stitch holder and it is working fine.
Obviously this is a toe up design but you start with a provisional cast on, use short rows to work to the toe, then use short rows to shape back to the underside of the toe. You then pick up the live stitches and begin to work the pattern.

I am enjoying this knit but it is not going to be my 'constant companion" like my socks usually are. I am really having to watch the chart. I have made it through one repeat and I guess I could try to wing it but instead, I think I will start the second baby sweater using the Cabin Fever design that I just completed. I had promised a sweater when the first son was born. He is now 2 and still waiting for his sweater. I am going to make a matching cardigan for big brother but will use a blue instead of the green.

We received exciting news yesterday and feel so blessed that I need to share. I do not include much in this blog about our personal life but since I am still doing a happy dance, I just have to share. Our DD is a senior and college bound. We already have a child in college and I have been holding my breath. She learned yesterday that she have received a Teaching Fellows scholarship from the state of SC. This will cover her tuition for 4 years and then she will be required to teach in state for 4 years. WOW!!!

3 Comments:

Blogger Opal said...

Thanks for the tips on the Nutkins and the yarn. I'll beware!

I can't cable without a needle on such tiny needles either. I always end up dropping stitches!

3:32 PM  
Blogger Mary Beth said...

I'm thinking the yos are intentional for this heel when you consider the overall pattern & numerous yos throughout. I totally concur on the "not feeling the yarn" thing. It's so disapointing to make all the effort only to not love the end result. Glad the second sock choice is great all the way around. (Love, love, love the color!) I am a smooshy,sproingy sock yarn lover too.

Yay & congrats to your DD! What a relief & also happy moment for you both.

7:32 PM  
Blogger Deborah-- said...

Because of reading this post, I myself and now the proud owner of yarnissima's la digitessa. I just got it in the mail yesterday and can I say "Oh My Gosh"! I'm in love with the yarn (and the presentation of the whole package - very impressive), but I am feeling a little overwhelmed with this pattern.

8:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home