Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Rias del Dios

God's Laugh
The perfect title for last week. I traveled to Orlando for a technology conference. I went alone. My plans were to return to my room in the evening, read blogs and knit. I spent time planning my projects very carefully. I wanted some easy knitting to work on during the day and something more complicated for the evening. I was looking forward to kicking back and having the time to myself.

My secretary made the reservations for me. The hotel I stayed in was extremely nice. It had a huge whirlpool tub, a King size bed with 6 pillows and bolster, a Bose surround theater system in the living room, a full kitchen with small appliances, even a washer and dryer. However, NO INTERNET!!!! I was at a technology conference with no internet. They did have it in the business center at .49$ an hour.

One of the sessions I went to was about using technology to teach ESL students. A young man had created a movie called Rias del Dios - God's Laugh. He said his Grandmother told him if you wanted God to laugh - just tell him your plans. He must have really chuckled at me!!!!

I ended up spending the evenings with venders and did not get as much work done as I had hoped. I had taken quite a bit of yarn with me. I chuckled too when I emptied my suitcase. Definitely some optimistic packing.

Day knitting- Nutkin
by Knitzi. The yarn is from the Loopy Ewe. It is
Rio De La Plata Yarns Sock Multicolor. This pattern is fun and easy to knit. The pattern was easy to memorize so that it was comfortable knitting during the conference sessions.

This photo is absolutely horrible. I will try to get a better one tomorrow.

My evening knitting was the Fair Isle Cardigan. This is a Jo Sharp pattern in Contemporary Knitting and I am using Rowan Wool. When I select projects I tend to choose things that challenge me and will teach me a new skill. I enjoyed the fair isle of the Kanaui so I thought this would be an easy knit. What I did not think about was that this is not knit in the round. Working fair isle on the purl side two handed is a real challenge for me. It is slow going with alot of tinking! Also, the color work did not look great.

I have been holding the white yarn in my left hand, however, I have forgotten something I read about identifying a dominant color and always bringing it up from the bottom. The last three rows are looking much better.

2 Comments:

Blogger Opal said...

You have some beautiful knitting going on right now. I really love the Nutkins in particular. Such beautiful yarn!

3:32 AM  
Blogger Mary Beth said...

These socks are cute. I am on a sock tear right now & will have to check out the pattern you used. I don't do fair isle, but can appreciate the difficulty in stranding 2 colors on purl rows. That must make slow going. Mind my asking where in the Myrtle area you live? We've lurked on each others' blogs & we live in the same area. Coffee & KIP(knitting in public) sometime?

6:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home