Who would have thunk it?
I began a pair of knee socks for DD. She wanted some to wear at the barn under her tall boots while she rides this winter. The pattern I found had an open diamond up the side of the leg. It is a toe-up design so I turned the heel and waited for her to come home on fall break to try it on and decide about the pattern. It fit, maybe a little loose but acceptable. She decided she wanted a plain sock as they would be warmer.
Our oldest daughter was going to be in Wilmington for the weekend, about 60 miles away. We drove up and visited with her. This provided a great deal of knitting time. At about 6" up the leg I began the calf increases and knit and knit and knit and then - I ran out of yarn.
At that point, DD tried them on and the sock ends about mid-calf. It is rather loose and she is concerned that they are going to fall down inside her boot - probably true. So I am short yarn and will need to reknit the sock.

The yarn was purchased at Knit in Charleston. On Monday I called them to see if they had any more of this colorway. Nope. She explained that Crystal Palace sends a selection of yarns and there are usually only 2 skeins per colorway, sometimes 4. There were no more of this berry. I Googled and found some at Jimmy Beans. In the message line, I mentioned the dye lot I had and asked if it would be possible to match it. Well, Miracle of Miracles, they emailed that my yarn is on its way and it is the same dye lot.

Meanwhile, I started sock # two but moved down from 72 stitches to 68. I am not going to increase as often so that it will fit a little more snugly. I will keep trying it on my leg and hope that it is close enough to fit DD.
Well, in trying it on last night - I broke my new KnitPicks wooden double point. They come in a set of 6. I have set aside 2, somewhere and cannot find them and now I have broken one of the size 1.
Update. One sock is complete, fits and is the correct length. Time to frog the first sock and start over again.
1 Comments:
Welcome back! Isn't it amazing that you can contact a place far away from where you bought the original yarn and they have the dye lot you need? It's wonderful when it works out like that. Ooo too bad about the loss of one of your new dpn's.
Post a Comment
<< Home